A Slip, Trip or Fall claim can be made when you have suffered an injury due to the carelessness or negligence of others. This can occur in the home, workplace or a commercial property. If you are a victim of such negligence then you could be entitled to make an Accident Compensation Claim.
If another party is guilty of causing or neglecting a wet or slippery surface then they could be risking the welfare of others. Slipping on the wet or slippery surface can cause significant injury to the victim. Slips are most likely to occur where the use of liquids are common such as bars and restaurants.
Slips can occur almost anywhere. If you slip in a public area that is maintained by a local government then the local council is liable for your accident.
Slips can occur when correct signage is not presented. Failure to present the signage is negligence on the part of the employer.
If an object has been left unattended in a public walk way by another party, it can lead to a trip. Even if unattended for a short while, objects need to be stored in an area where they will not be tripped over. Trips can cause the same intensity of injury as slips. Trips are most likely to occur in properties with a high volume of traffic such as busy offices and supermarket.
Trips can also be caused by faulty goods in the home. If part of a product falls into the path of the victim due to faulty manufacturing, then the manufacturer is responsible for the accident.
If another party’s negligence of duty leads to a fall then they could be risking the welfare of others. Holes and gaps need to be properly and correctly signed with warnings for the public. Road maintenance works need to be properly signed and cordoned off to prevent the public from injuring themselves. Holes and gaps of great height and width can lead to very dangerous accidents and significant injuries.
Falls can also occur in commercial properties; old shops and pubs often have trapdoors leading to basements. If these are opened and neglected it can lead to a fall. Likewise, poorly signed staircases can lead to an accidental fall.
SLIP, TRIP AND FALL DANGER SPOTS
- Uneven Public Footpaths
- Uneven Playing Surfaces
- Public Parks
- Changing Rooms
- Congested Streets
- Schools, Colleges, Universities
- Pubs, Clubs, Bars
- Bus and Railway Stations
- Restaurants and Cafes
- Car Parks
- Cinemas, Theatres and Sporting Venues
- Fairgrounds and Pleasure Parks
- Raised Platforms
- Building Sites
- Uneven Steps
INJURIES CAUSED BY SLIPS, TRIPS AND FALLS:
- Headaches: Banging the head can often lead to prolonged and painful headaches. Headaches can make it hard to sleep and concentrate, impacting profoundly upon daily life.
- Concussion: A significant bang of the head can lead to concussion in the victim. This can lead to dizziness, vomiting, nausea, lack of motor coordination and difficulty balancing.
- Broken or Sprained Bones:Many bones in the body can be broken depending on how the victim lands and the intensity. Wrist, hand and arm breaks are most common amongst slip and trip sufferers due to their reaction of breaking the fall with outstretched arms. A fall victim is at greater risk of leg breaks caused by a vertical plummet.
- Paralysis: The more intense accidents can lead to terminal paralysis. If the neck of the back bares the intensity of the accident, the victim is at risk. This can lead to significant medical and care bills due.